Monday, October 15, 2012

It's on!

It's been a long time since I've posted, and, to be honest, I'd forgotten about this little blog. Sorry, little birdie.

I'm writing here again because I'm writing again, period. I've been in a bit of a manic period as far as inspiration goes. I've got about half a dozen books simmering in my head right now: a literary novel, a YA novel (trilogy, of course), two academic books, one scholarly edition, and a popular history book. All of them are related by topic but they are, clearly, different in approach. I had one crazy night when I imagined that I could write all of them at once. Okay, let's be honest ... I still have moments when I think that's possible. I mean, the research applies to all of them (except for one of the academic ones), so wouldn't it be more efficient to write them all at once rather than repeat research in the future? (I know I would have to do the latter, because my memory just isn't that good.) 

Anyway, I'm also writing here again because, while I have lots of ideas percolating (simmering! percolating! looks like I'll be able to both eat and drink!), I've only *really* worked on one of them. The proposal I mentioned in my earlier posts was finally--finally!--dealt with by the publisher. And, it was good news! They want to see the whole ms. when it's done, and the acquisitions editor has been really excited and supportive. I know it's her job as acquisitions editor to seem excited and supportive of any book that seems even minimally cool, but I actually believe her. I think they do want this book. But ... um ... that means I have to write it now. Even worse: I have to get the full ms. to them in 8 months. Another of my genius self-imposed deadlines. Holy mackerel. 

So, here I go again. I just skimmed the old posts, scant as they are, and I realized that I was similarly panicked 8 months ago, when I was completing the proposal. And see how that worked out? Well, see how it at least potentially could work out? And thus begins the new adventure. 

Some thoughts on this:
1. After completing six more weeks of teaching, during which time I have blessedly little prep and grading compared to most quarters, I am on sabbatical. Did you hear me, universe? *Sabbatical*! I can barely believe it's true. I almost cannot imagine what those days will look like. Oh, except that I have imagined them for many, many, many days leading up to now. They will be sublime ... and I mean that in the real sense of the word "sublime," meaning they will be equal parts beautiful and horrifying. 

2. In the midst of preparing this ms., I also will be working on the co-authored scholarly edition mentioned above. This will include a trip to the British Library (yay!) with said delightful co-author and lord knows how much other work. This is all quite interesting and new to me. The topic is terrific and the co-author is, too ... these are things that I already know. What I don't know much about: (a) co-authoring in general. We're thinking about using Google Docs to write collaboratively. (b) how to put the ducks in a row for a scholarly edition. Securing document permissions, securing an editor/publisher, getting images, determining content, indexing ... so much to learn. 

3. In The Eight Months, I also am taking a group of students to the UK for a literary field trip. This will be awesome, of course. Who wouldn't want to do this, right? But, I did it last year, and I know it will require more time than I have, really. However, the money will be worth it (not a great deal, but enough to make the trip worthwhile), and I will be able to sneak in an extra prep week by myself in the UK before the students, hubs, and lil wun arrive. This, I think, will be blessedly welcome. I'm actually a little nervous about being out in the middle of nowhere by myself in the UK countryside, but it will be good for me. 

4. Most importantly: it is time to be a writer, not just think or talk about it. As Whitman said about the years leading up to the publication of Leaves of Grass, he'd been "simmering, simmering, simmering." He apparently needed Emerson's words to boost him a bit. I don't know what my boost has been--perhaps I'll be able to look back someday and identify it--but I have felt this same bubbling up within me for the last long while (thus the simmering and percolating metaphors offered above). It is time. It just is.  

So, as the title says, "It's on!" It's time. I'm a writer now. Let's see where this adventure ends up. 

1 comment:

  1. That's fantastic! Amazebombs! Such good news about the book. And you're right. It IS on. I like your attitude so much that I think I will adopt it as my own.

    ReplyDelete